- This event has passed.
“Pain in the Neck” Customized Chinrest Fittings
May 21, 2018
PAIN IN THE NECK …
Could it be your chin/shoulder rest set-up?!
CLAIRE STEFANI, THE PAIN IN THE NECK LADY ?!?
- 15 years of experience with orchestral string accessories (cases, strings)
- Avid amateur violist, ex-international field-hockey player, owner of Volute Service (voluteservice.com)
- Body Mapping affiliate trainee, active member of Performing Arts Medicine Association (PAMA), fitter for Frisch&Denig chinrest line.
WHY EXPLORE ACCESSORY OPTIONS?
- Valid market study run in the Netherlands (violinistinbalance.nl), documenting the benefits of customized chin and shoulder set-up to accommodate a wide array of players’ body structure.
- Access to inexpensive customized chinrests (http://chinrests.com) designed to accommodate all body types while keeping the instrument no higher than needed.
- Can efficiently complement but never replace Alexander/Body Mapping/Feldenkrais postural education/correction approaches.
WHAT ABOUT INDIVIDUAL DIAGNOSTIC SESSIONS?
- Aim is to suggest customized solutions through trying a wide range of
- chinrest heights and shapes, some customized, some ready-made,
- shoulder rest options to allow instrument contact with collarbone
- Sessions involve:
- Photos of neutral and playing positions
- Chin and shoulder rest testing addressing individual body structure and/or desired instrument position
- Diagnostic on what feels and works best while monitoring body playing balance
- Individual sessions are 45 minutes, cost is $90